Monday, May 7, 2007

Review: Super Paper Mario (Wii)

Graphics- 9/10
Sound- 8.5/10
Gameplay- 9.5/10
Replay Value- 8/10
Overall- 8.5/10

A classic Mario game with RPG elements...How could you go wrong? The biggest feature of this game is the ability to flip from 2-D to 3-D, and that works very well.

Super Paper Mario is my current "holdover" game. A "holdover" game is a game that I might not buy at full price except for it's the only good game out at the time. This is by far one of the better Holdover games that I have gotten...Although I have gotten games like 007: Agent Under Fire and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle in the past. Anyway, onto the game, it was basically advertised as a major update to the Paper Mario Series while retaining some of the RPG elements that we have come to expect from Paper Mario games. It did achieve what it said by adding an entire to aspect with the 2-D to 3-D ability. However, the RPG elements that it retained are very mild. Basically you can raise your HP after awhile and you can use items to attack enemies, which I never have really used. This does help the game, but fans of the turn-based combat of previous Paper Mario games will be disappointed because I have yet to encounter any turn-based combat. I think it would have been really cool to have all the boss fights as Turn-Based. That might have taken away from these boss fights, because they are some of the best I have seen in quite some time. Most games try and make the bosses big, scary, and a graphical wonder. Super Paper Mario makes the fight unique, interesting, and really fun. Speaking of graphical achievements...this game is not one. It's hard to have a Mario game as a graphics-driven game, but this game has decent graphics. You can see this the most when you flip to 3-D. I guess the best way to describe the graphics is "sharp." That is the game doesn't have any truly rough graphical features in it.

The other things that work well is multiple characters. You can play as Mario, (duh) Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. Yes Bowser, you see you are not actually after Bowser in this game, you are after Count Bleck. How does this happen? you ask, Well, pay attention to how the story unfolds and you will learn. I am telling you to pay attention because you might find it hard to follow the story because there is way to much talking, and not only that, it also makes a really bad sound whenever someone is talking. As long as I'm talking about things that make this game an 8.5, a lack of dash button comes to my mind. When I was reading other reviews for this game I thought that the lack of the dash button that we have come used to classic Mario games was a lame excuse to knock off points for the score. Well I was wrong. When I'm playing the game I always reach over to use the dash button, which results in me using my Pixl, (little creature that help you with various tasks along the way) I have just grown to used to the dash button. But as I was saying before, the multiple character work well, and they add reply value because you can go back to other courses and use each character's unique abilities to achieve more points and unlock new items.

Right now this is the best game that the Wii has out, and may be for awhile. You should cough up the $50 because it's a classic Mario with RPG elements...damn you Nintendo, that is how I think of the game now. Seriously, it is a good game and is worth the purchase.

Pros: Classic Mario, Multiple characters, Graphics are fine, Mild RPG elements work well, good replay value, 2-D to 3-D.
Cons: No dash button, Way to much talking.

Review: Dan

No comments: