Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Review: Pokémon Diamond* (DS)

Graphics - 9/10
Sound- 9.5/10
Gameplay- 10/10
Replay Value- 9.5/10
Overall- 9/10

This game has really taken off and I'm not surprised. This game plays the same as the original Pokémons and has many great updates. You should definitely consider revisiting the Pokémon games if you have given up on them.

At first I was unsure if I was going to buy the game because I have not been following Pokémon like I used to and do not know many of the new Pokémon. I soon decided to get the game, and boy was it a smart move. I quickly found myself engulfed in the game and I couldn't stop. I played for 10 hours the first two days I had it. I don't know if it was the lack of a good Pokémon game in my life for several years, or the fact that there is just so much to do but I was hooked and still am. The first thing that caught my attention while I was playing was the graphics, there has been a massive update to them that is visible right away. The game looks a lot better than any of the previous games, and the the fact that the DS has a backlight helps (I know the SP did too.) The only problem with the graphics is when you are moving really fast. You can actually see the parts of the buildings jump around a little as the game tries to load them. While this is most likely because of the DS's insanely low refresh rate it will bother at first, but you do get used to it. The other thing that is noticeable is the sound, but not for the same reason as the graphics. The sound effects have stayed almost the same, which I actually like because it reminds me of the original sounds you heard on the Gameboy. The music on the other hand has been updated a little and sounds a bit more sharper and changes more frequently meaning there is more music, and all of it is classic Pokémon sounding music.

Enough of the technical stuff, lets get down to gameplay. It's it what makes the game so good. As I have said it is in the style of the classic Pokémon games, which I guess I should explain for the three people in the world that don't know how it is done. You are on an adventure to fill up your Pokédex and along the way you have to beat the Elite Four, which are the four most powerful trainers in the game. Along the way you have to capture Pokémon and train them by fighting and defeating other wild Pokémon and fellow trainers. The fighting method is turn-based, with the Pokémon that has the highest speed stat striking first. You choose a move that will do damage to the opposing Pokémon based on you level, opponents level, type of Pokémon, And you attack stat along with there defense stat. However it doesn't stop there, you can have certain attacks that will raise your stats or lower your opponents stats in certain ares. This can make certain battles a fight to the end or you may be seeing how quickly you can knock out the foe. The more your Pokémon fight, the more experienced they become, the more they level up, learn new moves and eventually evolve. This system is a fantastic one and it does make the game, its simple yet complicated enough that all types of players will enjoy it. On top of all this the game has great replay value because you Gotta Catch 'em All, so there's another couple of hours added on to your total playing time.

So, what am I trying to say? Pokémon is back? Not quite, but this game is a great game for all of us who fondly remember spending our childhood playing Red or Blue, or even Yellow. The only major complaint that I have with the game is that there is only one game file. I was hoping for three, but it has been one file since the start of the series, so I can't be to disappointed. If you own a Ds, this game is a great pick-up that will keep you entertained for hours.

Pros: Improved graphics, An original Pokémon game, Sound.
Cons: Graphics show off DS's low refresh rate, One save file.


*Review based on Diamond version - Pearl is similar only with different Pokémon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I trapped on this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Playstation tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online NHL game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Today I played at this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Ps3 Live Tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online sports game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

In case you wish to play Madden, NCAA Football, FIFA, NHL2K and Fight Night games on your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 online for prize - we call for QA testers ASAP. Join us on Facebook before March 31 and win $2,000 in cash: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=298821430083&_fb_noscript=1

Anonymous said...

Howdy folks! I have a underground tattoo business in New York. Since 2002 I've been purchasing all tattoo stuff at really low prices but my supplier got jailed (life is weird!) so I'm looking for a good tattoo supplies company (online or offline) to buy tattoo supplies from. Here is an example of what I need: Tattoo Equipment. Thank you very much in advance for any information folks! PM me or drop me some lines at: triple6tattoo@hotmail.com