Monday, February 19, 2007

Review: Everybody Votes Channel (Wii)

Overall- 6.5/10

A surprise addition to the Wii and while the Everybody Votes Channel boasts nothing special, it is a nice glance into future possibilities for Wii Channels.

A few days ago I was surprised by my glowing blue light on the Wii. If you don't already know this, that light alerts you to new received messages. My first thought was that it was just Nintendo sending me more crap about the whole wrist strap fiasco (which by the way, those are hilarious.) While I did get a letter about that I also got one from Nintendo saying that the "Everybody Votes Channel" was now available for download and it's free. After updating I downloaded it and started out. However, before I started I was under the impression that you the polls were based on Nintendo games or Wii games or just the Wii in general. I was very disappointed to find out that there no questions of that nature at all. Unfortunately all that was there were ditsy questions such as: "Do you prefer Cats or Dogs?" God, I don't think I could care any less. The other problem is your answer options: there are only two. While that may be fine for simple Cat or Dog style questions there will be lots of questions were the answer that represents you is simply not present (recent indications point to this changing). To add to that, many people criticize the number of polls that there are to vote in. While that is true, it will change over time and there will be plenty of polls to get involved in.

With those negatives being said, it is still a good time-waster much like the Forecast Channel and there are many positive features about it. You use your Mii to represent yourself when you vote and they are also you to represent ratios of the polls final outcome, which is something that you can become very interested in because you are given the option of predicting the outcome the polls and some are pretty challenging. You are given a percentage total based on your predictions and this will tell you how "in tune" you are. There is also a way to see how much your opinions differ from the norm which will give you the chance to make fun of all of your weirdo friends. Overall the Everybody Votes Channel is a fine time-waster, but doesn't really add a lasting effect to the Wii. I just cannot imagine anyone reading this and thinking, "Well, I must get a Wii now!" This does make me optimistic that Nintendo has plenty of tricks up their sleeves, channel-wise, and the more the better. You might as well download this, because its free.

Pros: Poll predictions, Mii, Shows future possibilities.
Cons: Poll questions are childish, Two answer options as of now.

Review: Dan

1 comment:

Taylor M said...

I think for what it is, Nintendo did a heck of job putting so much polish on it. I do think they should have more than three regional questions at a time, and I agree that I'd prefer more game specific questions, but they're really going for the casual gamer here. I must admit the prediction aspect has really got me hooked, and I find myself coming back to try to keep up my perfect record.

http://mostly-harmless1.blogspot.com