Friday, April 13, 2007

Review: Internet Channel (Wii)

Overall - 8.5/10

The trial version of the Internet Channel was very well done but it did lack a lot of features. The final version of it seems to have cleared up most of those problems rather nicely.

Ever since I got the trial version of the Internet channel I was very excited to see what could be done with the final version and if you can't already figure it out, I am very impressed. They managed to clear up one of my biggest problems with the trial version. The loading time. Starting up the channel took forever, a good two minutes sometimes. Now, it seems like it won't take longer than thirty seconds. Speaking of loading times, the pages also seem to load quicker, always a welcomed improvement to any web browser. The improved loading times appear to have helped Nintendo achieve their original goal of making the Internet Channel something that can be used "quickly during commercials to look up that actors name." In addition they also added parental controls making it more family friendly, stressing the whole family aspect that Nintendo is trying to achieve with the Wii.

Those aren't the only think that Nintendo/Opera has improved on. They have improved zooming and scrolling. The zooming still has set levels to zoom but rather than there only being to set levels there are multiple levels, allowing you to get nice and detailed. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be clear zoom feature. As for the scrolling, I never had a big problem, but lots of people apparently complained. Now I can see why people were complaining because the new style is much easier to use. Another thing is you can now store up to 48 favorites, and while I never hit the limit before, more is always welcome. Moving right along, next we have the built in search feature. It's nice but not 100% necessary, but I guess it does make searching faster. Next, we have new cursor animations and operation sounds. They both weren't needed but they do look/sound cool, so it's positive. In addition they have added the option to delete cookies (pervert) and also have added a built-in support manual (definitely helpful for some). Lastly, you can now enter an address from the toolbar. Before you had to go back to the home page to do this. Along with those improved features there are many other ones that I didn't mention.

My only true problem with the browser is it's lack of support for certain types of pages. There are plenty that it does support but there are some missing. The biggest one being the new Yahoo Mail (Beta). One of Nintendo's goals was to allow people to check there email from the living room. Sorry Nintendo, not working out so well for me. There are other pages that aren't supported, I just don't know the type. The only thing you need to know from reading this is that you should download this. Even after June when it costs 500 Wii Points ($5.) It is well worth it and hopeful will be even more worth it in the feature (Opera should be able to improve it via download-able updates .)

Pros: All improvements/changes seem to work well.
Cons: No clear zoom function, Certain types of sites lack support.

Review: Dan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Two days ago I trapped on this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Xbox tournaments for money[/url]
They say you can play online Nhl2k game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Yesterday I discovered this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Wii Live Tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online Nhl2k game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

In case you are interested to play Madden, NCAA Football, FIFA, NHL2K and Fight Night games on your Ps3 or Xbox console online for prize - we recruit for beta-testers now. Join us on Facebook until end of March and win $2,000 in cash: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=298821430083&_fb_noscript=1

Anonymous said...

Hello all! I have a small tattoo business in New York. Since 2002 I've been purchasing all tattoo equipment at wholesale prices but my supplier committed suicide (believe it or not) so I'm trying to find a low cost tattoo supply seller (better online one) to buy tattoo stuff from. Here is an example of what I need: Tattoo Supplies. Thanks in advance for any ideas folks! PM me or drop me some lines at: triple6tattoo@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]dev-game.blogspot.com is filled with quality info. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Scientific Research presents that almost 70% of all U.S. adults are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

Anonymous said...

I love dev-game.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards

Poker said...

I am so happy you took the time to make incredible DEV Gaming blog here. See you around
--------------------------
My site: Poker Money Instantly Bonuses.