Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Review: Kirby's Adventure (VC*)

Graphics- 8/10
Sound- 7/10
Gameplay- 9/10
Replay Value- 8/10
Overall- 8.5/10

To this day this is still a good game a great download from the VC. The gameplay was unique at the time it came out and still is pulled off rather nicely in todays' gaming world (some unfortunately being nothing more than button-mashers).

I was very excited when I learned that this game was coming to the VC, because I knew that I had liked the game before but I just didn't remember much about it and why I liked it. When I began to play the game I soon remembered why I liked it so. The gameplay is very unique and compelling for a side-scrolling video game. You might think that Kirby is nothing special, but I disagree with you. The ability to copy certain enemies moves is so creative and adds such an addictive element to this game, it is unreal. Once you get a move you might not think about it but this requires you to think about what you are doing and going to do. What I mean is you might get an ability that you really like, but then you see an enemy with an ability that you think would be better or more useful. Do you give up your current ability? Do you keep it? Can you even take his ability? The other unique feature is Kirby's ability to "fly" (float.) This is something that is in all Kirby games and is a great concept that really wouldn't work on other games. Imagine a classic Mario game. Fun side-scrolling adventure to ensue...right? Now if he had the ability to fly...well not quite the same anymore is it? The cool thing about Kirby's flying ability is that it leads to unique level designs that require you to do more than just run forward and time your jumps. As far as designing goes, the world set-up is done very well. You have the ability to revisit old worlds which can contain that enemy that has the key to your success against that challenging boss. However "challenging" is not a word that be given the honor of being associated with Kirby's Adventure. You see... you just can't lose. Game over? Just hit continue and you are right back where you left off...except outside the level...not the world. Not only can you not die, the bosses and mini-bosses are ridiculously easy especially when you have a power-up you "borrowed" from and enemy. A good gamer...hell, a below average gamer can knock this game out in no time.

The graphics in this game appear to be very well done - there are multiple colors and patterns in each world and level within. However it is a bit hard for me to judge the graphics because I do not know what other games at the time looked like. The sound isn't the greatest, but then again none of the games at the time where phenomenal. There seems to be nothing but positives (almost) right? Well...let's get back to my first time playing. I entered a room and glanced up and saw a lot of enemies (five or six.) My first thought was...hey this might give me a slight challenge (it didn't.) I then started to inhale to suck up an enemy with a move I deeply desired, but as soon as I started to inhale...no, it can't be was that...LAG?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!? A NES game lagging on a Wii?!?!? I know that Nintendo isn't going to mess with games and release them in there original state...but I think that they could have made an exception for this (and a controller pack for Mario Kart 64.) The slowdown fiasco only gets worse as the game goes on because it increases in "difficulty," which means more foes. However this is the game I have played the most on my VC...well maybe Mario Kart 64 (yes I do own the cartridge and the VC version.) This is still a good game and worth 500 Wii points ($5.)

Pros: Unique, Copy enemies moves, "Flying," Game design.
Cons: LAG!, Way too easy.
Should it be downloaded? - Yes

Review: Dan

*Original version on NES - Review based on VC version only.

No comments: